Thursday, January 6, 2011

A Difficult Day

Yesterday, Adriana and I did the most difficult thing one could be asked to do, but perhaps the most blessed thing one could do under the circumstances: Adriana and I had to teach a class at Calvin College exactly at the time of my mom's funeral in Recife, Brazil.

It was hard to contain the tears sometimes - - - but then I remembered what my mom had told me: when I was two years old and had been sent home to die because the doctors could not do anything - - - some people approached my mom that night and asked her if she would allow a voodoo woman to say some prayers to save me - my mom told them to get away and that she would rather give me back to God than have Satan save me. She then went into her knees and prayed to God: Lord if you save my son, I promise you to bring him up to be your servant.

In the morning the unexpected happened - I was standing in my crib.

She kept her promise and was always telling me about Jesus.

The boy grew and soon started to love Jesus.

Today she was gone to be with her beloved Savior - - - forever.

I don't think she would have been upset to know I did not attend her funeral - after all I was teaching a class on Developing a Christian Mind.
Her action 56 years ago had produced some fruit - - - and I was so thankful I could continue, together with my dear wife, encouraging those 36 young lives / college students to pursue the greatest secret of life – the vision of the Everlasting Kingdom - our life under the Lordship of Christ - which my mom had promised to the Lord to teach me.

The story of my mom's promise kept me going through the 3 hours of class yesterday's afternoon.

May His eternal Kingdom come!!

Blessings,

Paulo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flowers of Narnia - July 17 / 2022

 “Look at the lilies and how they grow. They don’t work or make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully ...